Buddy Walk 2013

I’ve heard it said that it takes a village to raise a child. In our case, it takes a village to raise a family. And this family has one hell of a village behind us. Last weekend was Quinn’s first Buddy Walk, an awareness and fundraising event held in Houston each November. I spent much of this fall organizing Quinn’s team and sending out slightly obnoxious Facebook posts in an attempt to raise money on his behalf. The result was successful. We raised over $7600 in Quinn’s name and were the 6th highest fundraising team in the city, which is no small feat! We couldn’t have done this without the help of our generous friends and family, with a special thanks to our incredible parents, Larry and Patti Mennes, who personally matched every donation from Larry’s employees. We wouldn’t have raised nearly as much as we did without their help.

When it came time for the walk itself, we had over 60 people on our team in support of Quinn. His teachers at the daycare made posters and came out in droves for our little man, and many of my own coworkers walked with us to show their support. Even my dear friend Laura, who was terribly sick at the time, braved her own illness to meander through the crowds out of love for Quinn. The Stratford National Honor Society students walked with us for their service hours and, even though I don’t know any of these seniors, they all introduced themselves to me and made a point of meeting Quinn (and fawning over his cuteness). Nearing the end of the one-mile walk through downtown Houston, I came upon Stratford’s Junior Girls, many of whom were my students last year. They watched last fall as I coped with the news of Quinn’s diagnosis and celebrated with me when he was born during finals week. They were all there with signs and banners, cheering Quinn’s name just before the finish line. At this point I didn’t even try to hide my tears.

To say that this event was moving would be a gross understatement. I am beyond grateful for these people, this village that supports my family. Their love and encouragement sustain me and create an environment for Quinn that is inclusive and celebrates his unique qualities. Because the more I learn about Down syndrome, the more I see it as a gift. For the people in my life to recognize this too means that our family is erasing stereotypes and breaking down the barriers that he would have faced even a decade ago. But most importantly, it means that we are loved, and love is all we need.

Stratford Junior Girls


Quinn and Atticus' teachers


Gamma and PopPop cheer for Quinn

Brian and his Mom (aka, Grandma)
BFF's for life



Ace and Archie decorating the tent

Paula and the man of the hour
Aunt Kelly showing Quinn his posters

SHS students represent

Atticus with his superman facepaint
Brian, Quinn, and me with Archie and Lisa


Comments

  1. What a Beautifully Precious Gift GOD has given you to take care of.This ignorant commentator is probably jealous of the evident love and compassion that you have for your son.I like,that you felt sorry for this person who has to find humor in someones disability.I work with Christopher Reeves Foundation / and a victim of a spinal cord injury.I talk to people about hope,faith,and love; these "Emotions / Beliefs" will become so real to you and your family through him.God has given him gifts that will Blow You Away !!! Stay Strong and Faithful ! Friend in CHRIST....Aloha !

    ReplyDelete
  2. God Bless You and your Family...Don't mess with a mama bear's cub !!! You'll get MAULED !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts